Apr 1, 2009

Footsteps: Fancy Biology?

So happy that I got in touch with my cousin, Nethia, through Facebook. Asked her what she did after SPM and was very impressed. Take a look at what she replied. One word: perseverance. Oh, and another: passion. hehe :)

I went on to do STPM as I did not know what to do. Along the way, I realized that I was good in Biology, therefore I applied to USM to do a major in Biotechnology after my STPM. When I got into USM, I realized that I couldn't do Biotech as I was in the Pure Science program, therefore I opted to major in Microbiology. I had no regrets till now for opting Microbiology, as it made me appreciate and learn Science better.The fact that viruses could cause cancer by disrupting the normal cell cycle in the body, sparked my interest in Cancer Biology.

There was no turning back after that, my interest in cancer biology just grew and decided that was what I wanted to do. As Cancer Biology was not offered in Malaysia, I had to do it at the University of Nottingham in UK. I had to find a niche within the cancer biology field for myself and I was very interested in the physiological death machanism in the body termed Apoptosis.

Upon returning to Malaysia in 2006, I applied for the Malaysian Government Scholarship in 2007, so that I could do a intense research on apoptosis and cancer. I worked for the Nilai Cancer Hospital and the Institute for Medical Research in between. With God's grace I was awarded the scholarship one year after my application and I am where I am now.

My PhD project is to look at the Apoptosis Pathway in the Drug Resistance and Pathogenesis of Melanoma. Although its a lot of hard work, I enjoy carrying out the project. Science gives me a lot of satisfaction and joy.

Thanks for letting me add this into my blog, akka. All the best for the PhD project.

No comments:

Post a Comment