Apr 5, 2009

Trying a hand in performing arts

For those of you who already know about the play, read on. If you are still in the shadows, go on to this blog created by my sister to record our (my cousins, siblings and I) progress.

Today, I attended the first practice for the short play I'm going to be in. Something new for me. Before that, I was supposed to memorise about 8 pages of script within 3 weeks. At first, what with all the excitement, I managed to go up to 3 pages. Then, the procrastination factor kicked in and I delayed it right up to today. Yes, today. I woke up bright and early and started to gush down 5 pages of lines within 1 hour. Impressive, right?

Anyway, I was to do this play with a guy. Yup, only two of us. I didn't call him to check on our progress or even attempt a practice session before meeting up with the coordinator today. I know, I hang my head in shame :(

So, we reached there at 9.30am, half an hour before practice and had to wait outside as the doors were all locked. We waited and waited and I was only hoping that he'd show up early so that we could have a short practice run. When our coordinator finally arrived, she told me that he had pulled out of the play. Shocking!

I was aware that he had mentioned about not being able to do the play but, didn't think it was this soon. She went on to tell me that a new girl will be joining and she'd be my partner. Yes, they changed the gender of the character!

Then, we went on to practise the script. Being the newbie (I have no prior knowledge about acting in plays), we had to go line by line and since my character is deceitful and conniving, it wasn't that easy. I had to know how to manipulate people (expressing myself right), compliment with an ulterior motive in mind, etc. all at the same time. My coordinator did mention that this was one of the tougher plays and I was too trusting (read: innocent) to play the 'evil' character.

Anyway, it was definitely a new experience and I have to pick up fast. Am enjoying it and can't wait for the next session. And to meet my new partner :)

No comments:

Post a Comment