Mar 13, 2009

I can drive now!

I meant the car.

Today, I earned my right to be on the road, on the driver's seat this time. After 12 hours of driving practice, I finally qualified for the JPJ test.

Met some of my school friends and friends that I've come to know by attending classes in the driving school.

We were required to be there at 8.15am. Since my parents had to go out, I was dropped there at 7.30am. Already, there were people waiting. When the clerks had arrived, I asked one of the candidate's father if we should register or something. He wasn't sure. So, I boldly walked up to the desk to enquire and I was registered first! Lucky me, candidate No. 1! Later, I realised how lucky I really was.

The officers were running a bit late so, I got to drive the car up to the hill and wait. When I was there, the person-in-charge asked me to off the engine and I was half-way up the hill. While waiting, I watched as another 11 candidates pulled up behind me.

Then, the officer came - fierce as ever. 'Naik' (climb), he said. I went up and looked out. I was not really satisfied when I had stopped but he was. I passed! I drove down the hill to park. Again, I had to wait for all 11 to finish before the same officer tested me for the 2nd test. This time, it was alright.

The funny part is I had a final class one day before my SPM results. Sub-consciously worried, I had made all the possible mistakes and this helped me today because I was able to focus and note any potential mistakes. Yeh! Towards the end of that class, I was to do my final parking. I was doing fine when I saw amma parked a bit further. Normally, amma would come in a bit later but today, amma was early. Excited, I forgot to brake and headed straight for the 'tiang' (pole)! My instructor had to make an emergency brake as we were inches away from it.

Next, it was time to drive on the road. I loved it although one part really shook me. I was on a straight road with not many cars, driving on 4th gear. Suddenly, a car crossed the road and came right in front of me. I tried to break slowly, didn't work, I changed gears, 3...2... My mind was racing, figuring out what to do. I was barely inches away. The officer quickly stepped on his break and the car stopped. That was close. I could have just met with an accident! However, am glad that I am here to say, don't take anything for granted.

So, what else? I passed the test and am happy. Still, the shock from yesterday (my results) was able to balance today's excitement. Believe me, I am glad that it all didn't turn out the way I expected it to be. Definitely a wonderful experience.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, yeah, i forgot to mention WHY I was so lucky to be no.1.

    See, since there were so many of us taking the test and only 2 officers to test us on 4 tests, they had to do it part by part.

    During the first round of going up the hill, only 12 people were allowed to do it. Then, came the turning and the parking. While the parking test was going on, those who had finished could go on to the road. So, I finished faster than anyone else.

    Those after no.12 had to wait until they completed their test and only then, get their turn. It was a long wait for them but, not for me. I was fresh when I did the exam and not exhausted by the time it was over. So happeeee!!

    ReplyDelete