Jul 9, 2010

The Last Airbender

Being an avid cartoon-watcher (not sure if that's an acceptable phrase ;)), I just lurrrvveeddd to watch Avatar. You know, the kid with the arrow on his head :


Watched the trilogy from 2005 right up to 2008 on Nickelodeon. What intrigued me most about this cartoon series was the storyline. I was getting a little fed-up with the cliche ones, and this was something different. Yeah, core story, good guy vs bad guy. Yet, this was just different. You'll get the idea if you watched it. The other characters are just lovable, too.

The idea revolves around the four Nations : Air, Earth, Water and Fire. So, the characters are different based on the nations they come from. The conflicts they endure within, the change in their character over time, etc. makes it so grounded to reality.


My personal favourite: Zuko, a.k.a. the bad guy. Well, he started out bad, didn't quite like him then haha but the character evolves over time, as his background is slowly exposed to the viewers. Love the way they bring about the conflict that he faces and how he has to deal with them differently every time he faces the Avatar.



Angry, rejected, attempting-to-gain-his-pride-back Zuko









Calm, deep-thinking, conflicted Zuko









I'm obviously anticipating the upcoming movie: The Last Airbender. Though I'm quite uncertain if it'll measure up to the excitement the cartoon series delivered. Still, the fact that M. Night Shyamalan is directing it gives me a little hope :)


Please...please...please...let justice be done to this movie!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11/7/10 12:08

    Yes... I have my fingers crossed too! But only because I'm hoping for M Night Shyamalan to strike another win. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. *high 5* I see a lot of criticism surrounding his movies though I do really appreciate the creativity and originality. This is definitely something to look forward to ;)

    ReplyDelete