Jan 21, 2011

The Train Journey

"Isn't it tiring?"
Common question.
I do appreciate the concern, don't get me wrong.

It's all how you look at it.

I've been travelling more than I ever did in my life.
I meet new people everyday.
I've met students who are doing a programme that did not even cross my mind.

Interesting conversations.
Different worlds.

The type of complete strangers u may end up with:
1. People who would talk abt their current trip. Or if they're usuals, their routines.
2. People who would acknowledge ur existence, return a smile and a nod of courtesy.
3. Those who are only in for part of the ride, keeping themselves busy for the little time they have and sling their bags at the sign of their station.
4. Those who just wanna shut out the world around them.
5. And sometimes, if ur lucky enough u may get to sit with a friend that u've got so much of catching up to do.

And this is not including the other more colourful events that take place in the train:
1. Once, the air conditioner had broken down, and my friend and I got to get seats beside each other in an upgraded coach.
2. Two old ladies of different backgrounds found one thing they have in common - they travel to and fro to the same destinations, they decided to purchase tickets together next time around.
3. An elderly lady who I help hold the door for had just returned from a vacation abroad. She said that her husband wasn't fond of travelling and since she's retired, she goes ahead doing the things she so loves.
4. I was checking this guy out even before we got onto the train. When we got in, he was sitting not far from me.. talking to his gf on the phone!
5. You should see how people create arguments when they're not sitting at their designated seats.
6. Just when you didn't have time to grab a meal, someone would be eating a mouth-watering, aroma-filled meal. Now, they do sell food n drinks on board.

I had to have a lifestyle change to adapt to the journeys. I enjoy it nevertheless.
It may be tiring at times but a little shift in schedule, adopting flexibility with discipline (contradicting, i know), and a positive outlook, you just strike a balance :)

No comments:

Post a Comment