Feb 15, 2009

what to do for the holidays

Ok, so I have people tell me that they get soooo bored during the holidays; school or work sounds better. Some say that their parents restrict them from going out of the house. Here are a few suggestions. Improvise accordingly. Do tell me what you think...

1. Pick up an instrument.
One of the many common ones wud b the guitar. Grab 1 (buy or borrow), get into u-tube and start learning. They teach beginners simple notes and even songs...u cud even learn to tune the guitar...
Tip: U cud also venture into song-writing & singing or if u know an instrument so well, upload ur own videos.

2. Move to the groove
If u wanna try sumthin new, why not learn up a few dance moves. If ur into choreography, then u cud pick up different steps here & there, put it all 2gather and just have some fun. Again, u can find this in u-tube. Or u cud just sit back & watch others sweat it out 4 u.
Tip: Whenever a few of my cuzzins r around, we'd pick up steps from each other & incorporate them into our dances. Find out what ur fly & frenz know.

3. Like what u eat?
Get the recipe. It's common for a certain recipe 2 b passed down in families. So, get it. U may not like to cook but getting the recipe is like preservation of heritage. Love ur mother's cooking? She'll b glad 2 hand down the recipe. So, next time when ur missing the aroma, just pull out ur recipe book and cook away.
Tip : U can also do this if ur eating out & find a recipe u like. Many of my relatives' cooking r other ppl's recipe. Some r from other countries they visit.

4. Get back 2 ur roots
Put 2gather ur fly tree..an extended one. Start from the ppl u know and move from there. (Got this idea when I realised I'm not sure who's who in a family function!) Get down names, match them up with photos & find out where they r & what they do. U may b surprised knowing who's related 2 u.
Tip: U cud find lots of putting-together-family-tree ideas from the net. My aunt compiled and created a long directory for our side of the family including bdays, contacts, etc. & emailed it to evry1. She'd also update us whenever there's a change.

5. Learn the culture
Many of us don't practice alot of traditions nowadays so, visit ur grandparents or any elderly relative & find out the type of routines they used to carry out, the ceremonies & its purposes, life back then (don't believe evrythin u c in the movies), clothes, language, etc.
Tip: B sure 2 carry along a videocam or paper & pen, or anythin else u have in mind, to record the data coz u'll never know when it'll become handy.

6. Do the work
If ur really stuck @ home, help out by doing all the housework. Ur parents will surely b grateful. Let them take a break. My siblings & I used to clean & tidy up the whole place, & prepare some interestin dishes 4 our parents when they were out.
Tip: U cud also plan a small show-we used to sing, dance, etc. while our parents 'enjoyed' their meal.

7. Family photos
Now, if ur in the same situation that I'm in, then u'd probably have a shelf full of photos collecting dust. If u have a scanner @ home, scan all ur photos into the computer, sort them out by dates, events, ppl, etc. (u cud make copies of the same photo if it were 2 match different categories). U cud also get huge albums & start sorting them out.
Tip: Get other fly members to add photos according 2 the categories. That way, u'll have a larger database.

8. Get organised
I love to keep things that give a certain sentimental value or remind me of a certain incident such as movie tickets, greeting cards, wrapping paper,etc. So, what I did was I searched 4 one of those unused diaries I've been keeping and pasted them in. Next, I wrote down the time and incident(s) that I wanted 2 recall. This way, I know that my stuff is all in 1 place.
Tip: The greeting cards- U cud cut and paste and create new cards of ur own. My aunt did such a wonderful job with this, ppl wanted 2 buy her cards.

9. Help out those in need
If ur a good student, u cud actually get some of ur younger relatives 2gather & help them out with their work. My fren was so good @ it, her cousin called her frens to join in. Not only do u get 2 know ur fly better, u actually learn 2 deal with ppl & how 2 manage urself. Besides, u can help out in homes, join programmes hosted by NGOs with a cause, etc.
Tip: Need alot of patience!

I think that's it 4 now. My brain's kinda numb. Surely will add on to the list if I think of any more. Do share ur ideas, too. Love to hear them...cheerio!

No comments:

Post a Comment