Feb 18, 2009

Tamil and Tamil Lit. SPM - why?

I've faced students come up to me and ask - why...
Why should they bother taking those subjects?
Why add on to the burden?
Why even consider?

Having prepared for those examinations, I can now give a clearer answer.


1. If you are a Tamil school student or a student who studied Tamil separately, it will serve as an upgrade to the knowledge in hand.

When you do not study a certain subject over a period of time, you tend to lose touch. Hence, the earlier education wasted.

Looking into the Tamil subject first, from my own experience, I only started studying it properly in Form 3 after leaving primary school. I realised then, how much I'd forgotten the subject in the midst of the hustle and bustle of secondary school. It was a long process to get back on track and am grateful that I did. Yet, I do know that some knowledge acquired during that tender age had slipped off my mind.

In secondary school, the Tamil syllabus goes into more details of grammar, etc. You learn to appreciate the language better when you see that it has so much of satisfaction to offer. In the end, you come to a conclusion that what you have studied is the very basics and there is a whole world to be explored.

2. So, how is that going to help you? I say that knowledge never hurt anyone. If you want to know the language, this is the time. You have the time and resources to help you out. Besides, if Tamil is your mother tongue, wouldn't it be embarassing to know that you cannot speak let alone read and write.

You also have an extra language in hand thus, allowing you to reach out to more people. It's not just about speaking but, knowing the language and the people first-hand.

Tamil is an ancient language that is still spoken widely today. Not to mention the rich culture and wealth of information it carries. By studying the subject, you are also exposed to lifestyles, traditions and the society plus a little history along the way.

3. Is it a burden? I say not at all. While some people can prepare for up to 21 subjects for the SPM, why not take Tamil? It's the discipline and the will to excel that is needed. Challenge yourself, this is the best time.

By adding on to the number of subjects, you can still manage. Time management, etc. will help you to pull the subject into routine. You had to study for 5 or 7 subjects for UPSR, 7 or 8 for the PMR and pull through for SPM by adding on until 9 or 10. We are very flexible so there is no worry there.

4. Some may ask, why go through the extra length just to fit in an extra subject? At the end of secondary school, you have an upper hand compared to your peers. It's a whole different circle - the Tamil literate group.

I'll discuss about Tamil lit. in my next post. Feel free to comment. I want to know your opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment