Jun 13, 2011

Post - Ketchup Post

My ketchup post (The Ketchup Conundrum) got me thinking even more. So I pitched the author's ideas to my father who had a more eastern view to it.

For one, I suddenly recalled that what is ketchup there, we address it as sauce here. What is ketchup or kicap here is soy sauce there!

Next, Asians generally serve a completely cooked meal. Here in Malaysia, u'd find the goreng stuff, the steamed ones, and the baked options all served in a complete set. Unlike Western dishes that for example cook the meat and leaves the choice of sauce and its amount to the eater.

However, I did think of the curry element. Nowadays, we have the choice as to amount but traditionally, for example when you were to dine at a wedding reception, you are served as the guest. So the person serving had the choice as to the amount. Ultimately, I'd suggest that it is the food eater that plays with it finally. I may be a little off on this concept but do bare with me.

What makes ketchup (tomato / chilli sauce) so special then? I'm thinking that it is probably so in the context of the book where the author draws an analogy with mustard (which comes in a variety of flavours). Ketchup has not come in such variety. To compare with Asian spices : they come in a string of variety but all unique in their own way, hardly ever sharing similar qualities. They bring in different flavours, different preferences according to type of dish, and are just plain unique from each other. Ketchup, too in my opinion has taken that sort of a form. Pretty genius if u ask me.

Still, it is not to be forgotten that it is entirely man-made. It can be tampered with and altered if a better methodology were to be found. Isn't that how Heinz came up in the first place, starting off as a rebel by altering the status quo. It does also mean that if a better ketchup were to be made someday, it'll probably revolutionise the culinary industry.


No comments:

Post a Comment